Did you know that many people can struggle with misusing prescription drugs? That’s why prescription drug addiction treatment programs are essential to maintaining public health.
Talk with your primary doctor if you think that you may have a problem with prescription drug use. You may feel embarrassed but remember that medical professionals are trained to help clients, not judge them. Looking for a prescription addiction treatment program in Los Angeles, California? Contact Silicon Beach Tx today by calling [Direct] or reaching out to our team online.
What Is Prescription Drug Abuse?
It’s a fact that prescription drug abuse can develop even in people who start out only wanting to follow their doctor’s instructions. Some prescription drugs are as highly addictive as they are strong. They may do their job well and provide relief from medical symptoms but may also offer a pleasurable effect that can be addicting.
However, it’s what happens after a prescription runs out that can turn a dependency on a drug into a substance use disorder (SUD). For example, someone can ask a close friend or family member for a dose of their prescription painkiller for a backache. Or, they can outright steal those prescription drugs while their loved ones aren’t looking. These are examples of addiction-related behaviors that may become compulsive and ongoing, despite their negative consequences.
What Are Some Facts About Prescription Drug Abuse?
1. More Severe Health Consequences Affect Older Adults Abusing Prescription Drugs
Prescription drug abuse in older adults is a growing problem, especially because they may combine these abusing these drugs with using alcohol.
Older adults are also more likely to already have multiple health problems or regularly take multiple maintenance drugs. These put seniors at risk of developing a prescription drug addiction, not to mention worsening their physical health or experiencing the results of unwanted drug interactions.
2. Prescription Drug Abuse Behaviors Can Develop due to Many Reasons
Older adults experience many ill effects of abusing prescription drugs, but that doesn’t mean teens aren’t affected. Teens and adults can abuse prescription drugs for many reasons, such as the following:
- To be accepted by peers or be social
- To feel good or get high
- To improve concentration and performance
- To increase alertness
- To reduce appetite
- To relax or relieve tension
Abusing prescription drugs can also maintain an addiction that’s developed and prevent withdrawal symptoms from arising.
3. Prescription Drug Abuse Commonly Develops in Young Adults
While older adults are commonly in situations that make prescription drug abuse more likely, it can’t be ignored that most cases of this type of addiction involve teens or young adults. Risk factors for prescription drug abuse among teens include the following:
- Certain pre-existing psychiatric conditions
- Family history of SUDs
- Easy access to prescription drugs
- Exposure to peer pressure
- Lack of knowledge about prescription drugs and the potential harm in taking them
- Past or present misuse of other addictive substances
4. Some Prescription Drugs Are More Commonly Abused than Others
Because of their mind-altering properties, the most commonly abused prescription drugs are the following:
- Antidepressants – Including Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft
- Barbiturates – Including Nembutal
- Benzodiazepine sedatives – Including Valium and Xanax
- Hypnotics – Including Ambien
- Opioid painkillers – Including OxyContin, Percocet, Norco, and Vicodin
- Stimulants – Including Adderal, Concerta, Dexedrine, Mydayis, and Ritalin
When Should You Consider a Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment Program?
Prescription drug abuse often leads to the development of prescription drug addiction. Any SUD type requires professional treatment and a strong motivation to quit.
For many people struggling with prescription drug addiction, the motivation could simply be to improve their day-to-day functioning and the quality of their lives. However, for people struggling with this type of addiction for a long time, overcoming it could come with positive health outcomes.
Learn More About Silicon Beach Tx’s Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment Programs
If you’re searching for a prescription drug addiction treatment program in Los Angeles, California, contact Silicon Beach Tx today. Call [Direct] or reach out to our team online.