Signs of Substance Abuse and Addiction
Drug addiction or drug abuse can be a touchy topic to discuss. If you’re concerned for a loved one or friend that you worry may be suffering from drug addiction you may be wondering where you should start to find help. Begin by learning about the nature of drug addiction. Understanding how drug addiction starts, what it looks like and why it can have such a terrible hold on people can help in figuring out the best way to seek treatment.
Often people try drugs out of curiosity, because of peer pressure, to have a good time or to self medicate if they suffer from anxiety, stress or depression. It is important to realize that drug use does not always lead to abuse or addiction. Some people are able to use drugs here and there without ever experiencing negative consequences or addiction. For others, drug addiction can lead to a number of serious problems in their life, including issues with work, school or at home. Relationships can also be affected by drug addiction leaving them to feel isolated, lonely and guilty.
Signs of drug addiction include:
- The use of drugs under dangerous conditions and/or taking risks while high
- Neglecting responsibilities at work, home or school due to drug use
- The use of drugs begins to affect your relationships- fights with your partner, family or old friends
- Legal troubles as a result of drug use
Physical signs of drug addiction that you may look for, include:
- Slurred speech, tremors, or impaired coordination
- Changes in appetite or sleep patterns
- Bloodshot eyes, larger than usual or smaller than usual pupils
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Unusual smells on body, breath or clothing
At Silicon Beach Outpatient Center we offer an outpatient program for the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction. Our program is based on the philosophy that chemical dependence is a chronic, progressive, devastating and potentially fatal disease.
Addiction is debilitating not just to the person affected but to their loved ones as well. At Silicon Beach Outpatient Center we believe in restoring hope, fulfilling dreams, and that those suffering with addiction can find healing and hope.
If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse or addiction, we can help. Call Silicon Beach Outpatient Center now: 844.415.8198.