Did you know that there are kratom addiction treatment centers in the U.S.? Kratom is an herbal extract known for its stimulant and opioid-like effects. Some people take kratom to reduce opioid withdrawal symptoms and opioid cravings. It’s also often used to manage fatigue, pain, or mental health issues. However, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has labeled kratom a “drug and chemical of concern.”
Kratom is a legal substance in many areas and is not a scheduled substance under the Controlled Substances Act. But the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved kratom for any medical uses. Additionally, the FDA has advised consumers not to use kratom because of its potentially adverse effects. Kratom addiction is even more of a problem because of evidence that its use, especially in the long term, can be harmful to overall health. Are you looking for a kratom addiction treatment program in Los Angeles, California? Contact Silicon Beach Treatment Center today. You can call 213.460.1706 or contact our team online.
What Is Kratom?
You may have heard about kratom supplements if you read health news or visit natural health supply stores. Many retailers sell it as an energy booster, mood enhancer, pain reliever, and even an antidote for opioid withdrawal. However, the truth about kratom is more complicated, and the safety problems related to its use are a significant cause for concern.
Kratom is an herbal extract from the leaves of an evergreen tree that grows in Southeast Asia. Users can chew kratom leaves or consume brewed dry kratom. Kratom extract can also be used to make a liquid product. The liquid tincture is often marketed as a panic attack treatment, a mood enhancer, a muscle pain treatment, or an appetite suppressant.
At low doses, kratom may act as a stimulant, making people feel more energetic. At higher doses, kratom reportedly reduces pain and brings on euphoria. At very high doses, kratom can act as a sedative, making people quiet and perhaps sleepy. Some people practicing traditional Eastern medicine consider kratom a substitute for opium.
However, the number of active ingredients in kratom plants can vary greatly, making it difficult to gauge a given dose’s effect or safety level. Thus, taking kratom may be very dangerous.
What Should You Expect from a Kratom Addiction Treatment Center?
There are currently no FDA-approved or evidence-based treatments for kratom addiction. There is also little research on the effect of kratom when used as a supplement or treatment for opioid withdrawal. Overall, there’s not much official scientific observation or research on kratom.
However, this scarcity of information should not have much effect on the structure of a kratom addiction treatment program. Like most treatment plans for substance use disorders (SUDs), it should include the following stages:
- Assessment and diagnosis – Most rehab facilities require potential clients to undergo assessment, including interviews, medical tests, and even written exams. The information gained from this process helps rehab staff give a correct diagnosis and create a recommended customized addiction treatment plan.
- Detoxification and stabilization – Before undergoing further addiction treatment, a client must detox, which can cause withdrawal symptoms. After they’ve been physically and psychologically stabilized, a client is ready to transition to the next stage.
- Comprehensive and intense addiction treatment – This treatment can be age-specific, inpatient or outpatient, gender-specific, and trauma-informed. In many cases, it involves behavioral psychotherapy sessions that can be one-on-one, with a group of peers, or with family members.
- Aftercare and relapse prevention – All cases of addiction are chronic diseases. There’s no established cure for addiction. Instead, there’s only the proper management of the compulsion to abuse addictive substances. Most rehab facilities offer aftercare services like alumni support programs, job placement, and ongoing one-on-one therapy sessions.
When Should You Consider a Kratom Addiction Treatment Program?
Some studies indicate that people who use kratom may develop a chemical dependence and experience withdrawal symptoms if they stop using it. However, scientists are still investigating the extent to which people may develop kratom addiction. Though rare, a kratom overdose can occur. Symptoms of this type of overdose can be scary and include the following:
- Psychosis, including hallucinations and paranoia
- Respiratory depression
- Severe vomiting
Sometimes, a kratom overdose can even result in death. If you or someone you care about is struggling with kratom use, you should consider professional help.
Ready to Learn More About Silicon Beach Tx’s Kratom Addiction Treatment Center?
If you’re searching for a kratom addiction treatment program in Los Angeles, California, contact Silicon Beach Treatment Center today. You can call 213.460.1706 or talk to our team online.